Wednesday, May 30, 2012

What Shape Are You? We're a Squircle!



 In a recent educational summit that Susan and I attended, psychologist and speaker Connie Podesta asked the audience to categorize themselves as squares, triangles, circles or squiggles. No thinking involved.” (Lori)

I had a tough time choosing, but the first shape that came to mind was the circle, so I stuck with it. (Susan) 

I wrote down squiggle I dunno why, but I liked the shape and the term serpentine came to methank you Peter Falk. Ok, does anyone remember the movie The Inlaws? The other shapes seemed too predictable, but that ~~~now that was something I could hang my hat onit had movement! (Lori)

Connie then asked for the circles to come on stage, then the triangles, squares, and squiggles. Upon seeing the squares and triangles, I realized I had made the correct choice. The circles that stampeded to the stage looked like me. (Susan)

Squiggles came up to the stage and yep, I saw more people like me. We consider ourselves to have a creative bent, are visual thinkers and tend to think outside the box, always looking for solutions and new ideas. When I take notes its more of an art formI write sideways, draw in between and Im probably the only one who can read my own notes.

Circles like me laugh the most, but are also the most emotional. We are caregivers and fun-loving. We enjoy being with people and over-commit a.k.a. I hate to say no. We worry too much, and we Itry too hard to please.

Heres what I learned from Connie: circles are always socializing; squares are the gimme-the-facts and 10 minutes early people; triangles want people to get to the point and are competitive. The squiggles, well, we are out-of-the-box thinkers, creative types who carry great-looking, empty organizational binders. Our notes have doodles and sketches around the important stuff. And lets say we meet at 10 ish. I laughed out loud on that one.”

At dinner later that night with our Rodan and Fields teams, I, of course, asked what shape they thought I was. Most said I was a triangle, which is focused on the bottom line, efficient, confident, competitive, impatient and outspoken. My inner Carrie Bradshaw wondered which shape I really was? And, why, if Im more comfortable as the circle, do my friends see me as a triangle? The life happenings of the last 20 years have reshaped my round self into a tight triangle. It is constricting! I have been too busy doing what I HAD to do (take care of my children, earn a living, etc.) to be my comfortable self. Today my R+F business and friends are allowing me to breathe and the circle in me is busting out !

I had a similar reaction to Susans. When stuck behind a desk during my corporate years, I felt compelled to become a more acceptable shape. I sometimes gave up my best self the one that is passionate, creative and caring and wants to know how your day is. I had a boss ask me why do you want to know how I am? Why do I have to explain that I actually care about people I work with? Im investing myself, my time, my energy, my best when I clock in. Ive learned we need to be bold about who we are. If you have to try too hard to fit maybe you should ask yourself if youre settling into an unfamiliar shape.

“I guess you can say we are all happier, more productive ladies when not bent out of shape?”

“Totally! Perspective is a good thing. And, if we can learn from our past--even better. Its all about being your very best self. Every shape has something really great to offer so why do we concentrate on making ourselves or others fit a mold?”

“It was great for me also to see how I should talk to and work with other personality types so that the team benefits from the unique contribution each offers.”

“ We all want to be accepted and appreciated. Time to be bold and let our true selves shine. P.S.  Susan Thetford, I love my circle friend and business partner youre helping me, reminding me, to be my best me.

Why thank you, Lori Quinn. You are my favorite squiggle!



No comments:

Post a Comment